Talking Rocks 2019, Spring Tour
May 5-12, 2019
Seven days exploring the geology and scenery of southwest Utah and environs.
Sleep in tents or under the stars.
Study geology and paleontology with Gerry Bryant of the Colorado Plateau Institute and Stephen Rowland of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
Eat incredibly delicious food prepared by Robert Johnston.
Hike to breathtaking overlooks and fascinating outcrops.
Enjoy conversations around the campfire considering the great questions of beauty and justice, God and humanity, geology and theology.
Cost: $800 for everything–local transportation, camping and entrance fees, meals and snacks, professional honorariums.
- Arrive Las Vegas/McCarran International Airport by 1 p.m.
- If traveling by car, arrive Snow Canyon State Park by 3:30 p.m.
- 4:30 p.m. Visit St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm
- Sunday night. Camp at Snow Canyon State Park
- Explore geology in St. George area. Intro to sandstone and lava. Gerry Bryant, instructor. (Option for avid hikers: a monster hike in Zion)
- Monday night. Snow Canyon State Park
- The Virgin Anticline and Zion Overlook Trail. Gerry Bryant, instructor.
- Tuesday night. Camp at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park.
- Bryce Canyon hike and geology.
- Wednesday night. Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park.
- Moccasin Mountain dinosaur trackway
- Thursday night. Valley of Fire State Park
- Atlatl rock tracks. Guest instructor, Stephen Rowland.
- Friday night. Valley of Fire State Park
- Valley of Fire Willow Tank Thrust Fault and petrified logs. Instructor, Gerry Bryant
- Valley of Fire State Park
- Las Vegas/McCarran International Airport